Sunday, July 05, 2009

Emma & Knightly


I am about 80 pages into this not badly done spin off. The tone and ambience seem to be true to the original work by Jane Austen. So far though, the story line is somewhat lightweight. However after a some, dare I say Google research & reading of Emma analysis, I see this is how it ought to be. For Emma is an over indulged, rich young lady with too much time on her hands and not enough mental stimulation. Everyone seems to be having trouble remembering she is now married, thus is forever greeted as Miss Woodhouse. I don't think this helps her, nor the fact that she and Knightly live in her father's home. Though I understand why.
Hopefully something will occur that will allow Emma to grow up and reveal the mature and wise woman I suspect is inside.
It will be too bad if it does not. Indeed it shall.

(NB Emma reminds me a little of that other spoilt rich daughter, Scarlett)

No comments: