Sunday, July 05, 2009

Jane Eyre

I read this and was amazed how much more there is to get from it when (re) reading as an adult.

I was reading for a book group - and the assignment was to not read it as a romance, rather to read with a view to understanding the challenges Jane Eyre faced; and overcame.

To grasp how she did so, and to learn what we could in terms of personal insight, hopefully to acquire wisdom. Thus the text became compelling and even more personalised.

In this particular edition there is comprehensive analysis of the text. I mostly skpped this until I finished reading the story. At end of the text is printed many of the reviews of the day; they make most interesting reading.

Finally there are pages and peages of end notes. Cross references to other texts and influences in the life of Charlotte Bronte.

I had read with a marker pen in hand and now as I read the end notes I was amazed to find how many of the references I had been able to recognise.

This gave me a great insight to the life of Charlotte Bronte, and to her musings, possible aspirations, and influences. Even empathy.

All and all an amazing experience, one that I could not have fortold.
I plan to re read in 2 years time.

Rating: 5+ *****


No comments: